he AR-15 is one of the most popular centerfire rifles throughout the world. And why it should not be so? Versatility is certainly one of the many factors as this type of rifle is not popular only because it is a good rifle but is also popular because it is so modular. The owner can change any component on your AR as they like and that makes it easy to understand why it is one of the most popular AR ever produced in the history of guns and ammunition.
And because it is very much popular, a glance at any firearms store will show you hundreds of different modifications for the AR that you can add to make your gun more efficient. This means that you can build a fully personalized rifle that suits your taste and needs without costing you much.
We know that for many, buying a gun from the market will make them ready to go. But the word many never means all. Some gun enthusiasts need everything as per their needs, and for them, working with such a versatile platform doesn’t do any good without a personal touch. Many want to build their AR-15 kit from point zero, exactly as they planned.
In this article on the best AR build kits, we will look at the best AR build kits available in the market that you can buy if you are one of the above. Here, we will look at a wide variety of kits available in the market, ranging from 80% lowers and uppers and to complete AR-15 receiver build kits.
While choosing the best products, we have considered a wide variety of things so that it benefits everyone who is reading this article. The properties that we have taken care of are the overall quality of the components, including the trigger, the bolt, the chamber, and any accessories or extra features that may be included in the packaging by the manufacturer. We have also taken care of the price tag with which it comes with so that we can include both the cheap and affordable AR-15 build kits to the expensive ones and more in between.
Let us have a look at the best AR-15 build kits that we have included in our list:
Best AR Build Kits
- Tactical Receivers
- Premium Receivers
- Premium Upper Assembly
- Brownells BRN-180 AR-15
- Foxtrot Mike AR-15 FM-9 Rifle Lower Receiver
- Brownells AR-15/M16 Lower Receiver Kit
- Brownells AR-15 80% Lower Build Kit with Buttstock
- DPMS AR-15 Lower
- Bravo Company BCM Lower
With that being said, it is time to jump straight into the recommendations and discuss the AR-15 build kits in detail.
Best AR-15 Build Kits Detailed Reviews
The AR-15 Tactical Receivers rolls out from the house of Brownells and is a complete kit for building the upper and the lower receivers and attaching a buttstock.
- It has an aero Precision Stripped Upper Receiver.
- It is also equipped with the DPMS Forward Assist Assembly and the DPMS Ejection Port Cover Assembly.
- This kit has Anderson 80% Lower Receiver added to it along with the DPMS Lower Parts Kit.
- Last but not the least, this kit also has a black nylon buttstock.
The Brownells AR-15 Tactical Receivers Build Kit is a custom AR build kit, manufactured by the company named as the Brownells. This kit is of high-quality, medium-cost AR build, and is mostly a complete set. All you need to buy spending your money is a barrel, magazines, a pistol grip, and a jig if you like and have extra funds to upgrade to a better option.
Like many lower receivers, the Anderson is an 80%, which means it needs to be drilled and tapped to be used in a functioning rifle. We recommend you to buy a jig to make sure your holes are precisely placed, even if you have steady hands and years of shop experience if you don’t want accidental damage.
The Aero Precision Stripped Upper Receiver added to the kit is one of the most reliable on the market that you can buy for personal use. It also features a Picatinny rail for accessories, and all of the DPMS parts are well-engineered.
Overall, if you want to assemble every bit of your AR from scratch, this receivers kit is a good choice and will make your task easier and smoother.
- It is a custom Brownells kit and is almost a complete rifle.
- The manufacturer has added quality DPMS lower parts to the kit.
- This kit does not include jig for the lower receiver.
This is the second Brownells in our list of the best AR-15 build kits available in the market that you can buy and is named as the Premium Receivers Build Kit. It is another complete kit and requires only a rifle and a buttstock for taking it out to use.
- This kit has an aero precision stripped upper receiver and a high standard forward assist assembly added to it.
- The packaging comes with a high standard ejection port cover assembly and an Anderson 80% lower receiver.
- The Bushmaster Lower Parts Kit is also added to the Premium Receivers Build Kit by the manufacturer.
- It has a black high-impact polymer pistol grip in the kit.
The Brownells AR-15 Premium Receivers Build Kit is the second Brownells custom kit on our list and has quite a lot in common with the Tactical version. For example, the Aero Precision Stripped Upper Receiver with a Picatinny rail to name a single.
The High Standard upper receiver parts are not the best in class available in the market like the DPMS parts on the Tactical kit, but they are still not of trash quality.
The Bushmaster Lower Parts Kit is heavier than mil-spec and includes everything that one needs to get the 80% lower working. However, the jig is absent in the package, and once again like the previous one, you will need to buy that item separately.
Long story short, this receivers kit is a great budget AR build that makes assembling a complete rifle and easy and quick task.
- This kit is a custom Brownells kit and is almost a complete rifle like the previous one.
- It is quite inexpensive.
- This kit does not include jig for the lower receiver.
The AR-15 Premium Upper Assembly is another Brownells product and is a simple kit for building a complete AR-15 upper receiver.
- The Premium Upper Assembly has an aero precision stripped upper receiver and has a high standard forward assist assembly.
- This kit also has a High Standard Ejection Port Cover Assembly.
The Brownells AR-15 Premium Upper Assembly Build Kit is equipped with the Aero Precision Stripped Upper Receiver forms the basis of the Premium kit. However, this receiver is cannot be guaranteed to be the best in the price range but will do the job efficiently for you. The aluminum used in the making is precisely cut to mount on any mil-spec lower, and your barrel will attach with ease without much effort.
As a massive advantage, all of this comes at a low price. The price tag is considerably less than the average cost of a complete kit, or for an upper with a barrel. If you’re looking for a new mil-spec upper for your existing lower, you can try out your hands on this kit. Overall, this is a reliable, and affordable upper assembly kit.
- This kit is quite reliable and has a mil-spec design.
- It is easy to assemble and is quite inexpensive.
- It is not a complete kit.
The Brownells BRN-180 AR-15 is the fourth AR-15 build kit in our list of the best build kits available in the market that you can buy and has a full-length Picatinny handguard,
- This kit consists of an Aircraft-grade aluminum receiver and a handguard.
- It also has a 16 inches matte black barrel with a flash suppressor.
- The equipment in this kit is chambered in .223 Wylde.
- This kit is also equipped with a full-length Picatinny top rail with M-Lok rails.
- The molded polymer ejection port cover is also one of its advantages.
The Brownells BRN-180 AR-15 Complete Upper Receiver Assembly is designed to meet the need of the target shooters throughout the globe. The receiver and handguard added to the kit are both made from aircraft-grade aluminum, which is both lightweight and rugged.
The .223 Wylde chamber is a special benefit for the target shooters and they will appreciate it considering its utility. This chamber is designed to reliably fire both .223 Remington and 5.56mm NATO rounds and comes with the rail system that allows for a large number of accessories.
Along with the full-length top rail, the manufacturer has also added the 1 and 11 o’clock rails, that allow you to install offset sights for shooting at different ranges conveniently and being at ease.
However, this assembly kit is quite expensive. Also, you will still need to buy a lower receiver, pistol grip, and buttstock additionally as they are not included in the packaging. But overall, it is a great upper assembly for someone who is serious about accuracy and is practicing target shooting. As you might know, the .223 Wylde chamber is ideal for building a target rifle and will thus cater to your needs the most.
- This kit has a versatile, and reliable chamber.
- It also has plenty of room for accessories and is a good choice for target shooters.
- It has high-grade aluminum construction.
- It is expensive.
The Foxtrot Mike AR-15 FM-9 Rifle Lower Receiver is designed for 9mm cartridges, specifically for lower recoil and better control over the gun.
- The kit has an aircraft-grade aluminum billeted frame and is designed for 9mm cartridges.
- It also has a mil-spec trigger.
The Foxtrot Mike AR-15 FM9 Rifle Lower Receiver is a fully-assembled lower receiver. This kit is designed to feed 9mm cartridges that have a lighter recoil. This feature makes this type of gun an excellent choice for a home defense gun. As an added advantage, you will also save money by purchasing cheaper pistol ammunition in the 9mm variant.
In short, this lower is a good item to your build and is a CNC-machined from a solid aluminum block. This makes it rugged enough for rough usage. Long story short, this is a good choice if you plan on using your AR-15 primarily for home defense and personal safety rather than for any other purpose.
- This kit has a durable construction and has low recoil.
- This kit is great for home defense guns and provides a great value for the price.
- It must be shipped to an FFL dealer.
- This gun has an unusual cartridge size.
The Brownells AR-15/M16 Lower Receiver Kit is the sixth AR-15 build kit in our list of the best AR-15 build kits available in the market that you can buy and includes a well-engineered DPMS lower parts kit.
- It has a DPMS AR-15 Lower Parts Kit.
- This kit is also equipped with a black nylon buttstock.
- The Brownells AR-15/M16 Lower Receiver Kit is a lower receiver that is suitable t be used with any .223 or 5.56mm upper receiver you want to use.
The main advantage of this kit is the Anderson Manufacturing 80% lower added to it. It is the same one that is used on Brownells’ premium complete AR kits and is forged from anodized aircraft-grade aluminum. The aluminum makes it more durable than most 80% AR lowers on the market, but as a disadvantage, there is no jig included with this kit. This means that you will need to buy one separately or build your own by spending some extra money from your pocket.
The AR-15/M16 Lower Receiver Kit also includes the DPMS AR-15 Lower Parts Kit, which is one of the best mil-spec parts kits available in the market that you can buy. A black nylon buttstock is also added to the kit, making it one of the most rugged 80% lowers on the market.
- It has durable aluminum construction.
- The kit has high-quality parts included in it.
- The jig not included.
The Brownells AR-15 80% Lower Build Kit with Buttstock comes with a polymer receiver that’s easy to attach and operate.
- The kit is made up of polymer.
- It has a DPMS AR-15 Lower Parts Kit.
- This kit comes with Brownells M4 Stock Assembly.
The Brownells AR-15 80% Lower Build Kit with Buttstock is a complete AR-15 lower kit, that has an adjustable buttstock, so you can shorten your rifle. This feature comes extremely handy for use in tactical situations like home defense and personal safety.
The DPMS Lower Parts Kit added to this build kit makes it far more superior than the rest of the contemporaries in the price range. Long story short, it is simply the best parts kit you will find anywhere near this price range. However, this is an expensive kit but is worth the price considering the overall quality.
The adjustable buttstock added to this kit is perfect for AR-15 owners who want to use the gun for various purposes. It may include tasks such as home defense and longer-range shooting or hunting activities.
- This kit is quite easy to machine and doesn’t demand much time and energy.
- It is a high-quality parts kit and comes with an adjustable buttstock.
- It is quite expensive.
The DPMS AR-15 Lower Parts Kit is the eighth AR-15 build kit in our list of the best AR-15 build kits available in the market that you can buy and includes a sturdy nylon buttstock and pistol grip that offer exceptional recoil absorption.
- This kit comes with a mil-spec AR-15 lower parts kit.
- It also comes with a spare takedown detent and has added nylon buttstock and pistol grip added to it.
The DPMS AR-15 Lower Parts Kit is a mil-spec parts kit that includes important accessories such as a trigger spring, bolt catch, bolt catch roll pin, selector, selector detent, rear takedown pin, hammer, trigger, and 17 other pins, springs, and some other small components that make it complete.
Additionally, it also includes 2 sets of takedown detents and springs. It is extremely beneficial if you lose one during assembly and can use the other one, especially if you are rebuilding your fist AR lower.
The trigger added to it has a clean break, without any creep. Overall, it is a heavy, mil-spec trigger, and is a significant upgrade over any mil-spec parts kit.
- It has a clean trigger break and a sturdy buttstock.
- This kit is quite easy to be used by beginners.
- This kit is not designed for target shooting.
The Bravo Company BCM Lower Parts Kit is the last build kit that includes BCM’s unique pistol grip and comes with an internal storage compartment.
- It comes with a mil-spec AR-15 lower parts kit.
- This kit also includes a BCM pistol grip.
The Bravo Company Lower Parts Kit is a complete kit that includes equipment such as the trigger, hammer, selector, and all the pins, springs, and other essential parts to name a few.
As an added advantage, it also comes with a BCM pistol grip that has a hidden compartment that can be used to store small accessories, or fitted with a specialized waterproof cutout for batteries to be stored if needed.
The trigger added to this kit features a crisp, and clean break that won’t creep on you before it fires the shot. Also, it is slightly lighter than mil-spec, but still not as light as target shooters would prefer while carrying this in the range.
The internal components of the kit are manufactured from high-grade, corrosion-resistant steel that makes it strong enough and well suited for extended storage or long weekends hunting in adverse climatic conditions.
- This kit has a clean trigger break.
- It also has a rugged and corrosion-resistant construction.
- Storage well is present inside the pistol grip.
- It might not be the best choice for beginners.
- This kit is not designed for target shooting.
Thus, with all those build kits, we have reached the end of our article on the best AR-15 build kits available in the market that you can buy. Keep in mind that the different kinds of AR-15 kits contain a variety of different components. The equipment that is present in the kit that you are buying depends on what you are looking for and what features you need to have in your gun.
As you have noticed while going through the list, most of the complete kits you are going to find are from the manufacturer named as the Brownells. The Brownells upper receivers that are essentially AR-15 complete rifle kits are of the best quality and you can easily trust them for rough usage. All you need to do is add a lower and a pistol grip, and you are ready to go out with your gun in your hand.
We hope that you have found our review useful enough to consider buying a build kit and have equipped you with the necessary information that will help you choose the right kit for you. With so many options available at your disposal, it might be difficult to choose the best one for you.
But let us tell you a secret, it is super easy to choose the best on your custom. Just decide what features are most important to you, and search only for those. You will get your AR to build, in very less time and effort.