hen we are talking about the AR-15, we are talking about one of the most famous rifles in the world. This type of rifle is not popular only because it is a good rifle but is also popular because it is so modular, and you can change any component on your AR as you like.
The list of items that you can change or modify includes items like the barrel, the stock, the accessories, and even the grip. In this article, we will discuss the best AR-15 grips available in the market that you can buy to make your rifle a bit more effective.
In our list of the best AR-15 grips, we have tried to include the models that are most popular, which means that most of our grips will be either Magpul or Hogue grips so that you can go with the choice of people for generations. Also, if you want to try out other companies, we have kept that option too in our list as various other companies also make a good AR pistol grip.
Among the thousands of AR-15 grips available in the market, we have included the best ones on our list. Although nowadays there aren’t really that many differences in terms of design, and the main thing to look after while we are buying a grip is that we have to stick with parts that are reliable and durable.
And that is precisely the reason you should go with the renowned brands. Because they have been in the market for a long time, faced stiff competitions, and have reached the top spot in terms of customer satisfaction and utility. It is hard to go wrong with the most famous brands in this sector as they have been consistently producing quality materials for a long time.
Let us have a look at the best AR-15 grips that we have included in our list:
Best AR-15 Grips
- Magpul AR-15 MOE K2+
- MAGPUL – AR-15 MOE+
- HOGUE – AR-15 PISTOL
- BRAVO COMPANY – AR-15 MOD-3
- MAGPUL – AR-15 MOE-SL
- HOGUE – AR-15 over-molded
- MAGPUL – AR-15 MIAD GEN 1.1
- BROWNELLS – AR-15 RETRO
- MAGPUL – PICATINNY RVG RAILED
- HOGUE Groover
With that being said, it is time to jump straight into the recommendations and discuss the grips in detail.
Best AR-15 Grips Detailed Reviews
#1 – Magpul AR-15 MOE K2+
The Magpul MOE K2+ is the first AR-15 grip in our list of the top 10 best AR-15 grips available in the market that you can buy and has a standard angle, and a fat, textured grip.
- This grip is equipped with a rubberized grip and has a large beavertail backstrap.
- It has a standard angle and includes a mounting screw.
- This grip is available in 4 colors to suit the color scheme of your rifle.
The Magpul AR-15 MOE K2+ has a shallow angle as a stock AR-15 grip, but the difference is that it is fatter than a factory grip. The backstrap added to the grip is wide, with a beavertail that extends far over your thumb. It makes it quite suitable for even the biggest hands and comes with a mounting screw and does not require a washer.
The finish added to this grip is a textured rubber and provides enough grip to keep your hand from slipping. This feature makes it extremely useful to be used even in the rain without having any trouble. The rubber is a bit thin and is designed for texture only. As a disadvantage, there is no recoil absorption added to the grip.
The MOE K2+ is available in four colors: Black, Gray, Flat Dark Earth, and O.D. Green to choose as per your wish. This grip also accepts Magpul storage cores, which allow you to store gun oil, batteries, an extra bolt and firing pin, or other accessories in it and is a great choice if you have big hands.
- It has an easy-to-hold texture for a convenient grip.
- It also accepts Magpul storage cores and is sized for big hands.
- The rubber coating added to the grip is thin.
#2 – Magpul AR-15 MOE+
The Magpul AR-15 MOE+ is the second Magpul in our list of the top 10 best AR-15 grips and sits at a standard angle. It can also be upgraded with additional storage cores.
- It has a textured rubber finish and a standard angle.
- This grip has a standard size and includes a mounting screw.
The Magpul AR-15 MOE+ is a standard size pistol grip and has the right thickness for an average-sized hand to have a proper grip on it. It has a relatively short backstrap, and a slim forward strap with an ergonomic cutout for your index finger. The manufacturer ships the grip with a mounting screw and doesn’t require a washer for installation.
This grip has a rubber finish and is designed to provide texture and improve your dexterity. However, it does not absorb recoil and is not that much hard. It is also made of polymer it is fairly soft but not as soft as some other pistol grips.
The MOE+ grip is available in four colors: Black, Grey, Dark Earth, and O.D. Green, so that you can choose what you like. It is also designed to accept Magpul grip cores that allow you to carry small accessories inside your pistol grip if required.
- It accepts Magpul grip cores.
- This grip is comfortable and is also quite easy to hold.
- The rubber is not very thick.
#3 – Hogue AR-15 PISTOL
The Hogue AR-15 Pistol is the first Hogue and also the third AR-15 grip in our list of the top 10 best AR-15 grips available in the market that you can buy. It is a standard angle grip with good recoil absorption that makes it one of the best.
- It is equipped with a soft rubber grip and has a standard angle.
- This grip is of a standard size.
- This grip is available in 4 colors to suit the color scheme of your rifle.
The Hogue AR-15 Pistol Grip is designed with the same angle as a factory AR grip and comes in a standard size. Also, it is more comfortable and easier to shoot with.
This grip has an ergonomic shape, with indents for each of your fingers. As an added advantage of the Hogue is that it has thick, soft padding. This helps in recoil reduction and makes shooting much more comfortable.
The installation of this grip is a problem as the manufacturer doesn’t ship the grip with mounting hardware. This grip is available in four colors: Black, Tan, Ghillie Tan, and Pink and is well-sized for most shooters.
- The grip is comfortable and has an ergonomic design.
- It also has good recoil absorption.
- It does not include mounting hardware from the manufacturer.
The Bravo Company AR-15 MOD-3 has a beavertail and a vertical angle. Overall, this is a well-engineered polymer grip for the short-barreled AR-15s that you can buy.
- It has a textured polymer grip with a vertical angle.
- This grip is of a standard size and includes mounting hardware.
- The grip is only available in 2 colors, so you can’t expect to get a variety of colors to choose from.
The Bravo Company AR-15 MOD-3 Gunfighter Grip is designed while keeping shorter ARs in mind and has a steep, near-vertical angle. This feature gives you better recoil control, although it makes the barrel feel heavier.
This grip is well designed for most hand sizes and is slim so that even the smaller people will be able to have a proper grip on it. It also has a beavertail to protect a large thumb.
The MOD-3 is available in two colors: Black and Flat Dark Earth. And is shipped with a mounting screw and a washer. It also includes two trigger guard inserts to close the gap between the forward strap and your rifle’s trigger guard.
- This grip has a good recoil control on shorter ARs.
- It also has a good fit for most hand sizes.
- This grip is equipped with a hard finish.
#5 – Magpul MOE SL
The Magpul MOE SL is another Magpul on our list and is aggressive and easy to mount.
- It has a textured rubber finish and has a vertical angle.
- Overall, this grip has a slim profile and includes a mounting screw.
- It is available in 5 colors to match the color of your rifle.
The Magpul AR-15 MOE SL is small and slim, which makes this grip quite suitable to be used by people with smaller hands. It has a straighter angle than a factory AR grip and is suited for ARs with shorter barrels. The MOE SL comes with a mounting screw from the manufacturer and is designed to install without the need for a washer.
This grip has a textured rubber finish, and there is no recoil absorption. Also, it is not thick enough and makes the grip easy to hold.
The MOE SL is available in five colors: Black, Gray, Sand, Dark Earth, and O.D. Green and is designed to accept Magpul grip cores, which are small storage compartments for batteries and other supplies.
- This grip accepts Magpul grip cores and is sized for smaller hands.
- It has a comfortable, and textured finish added to it.
- This grip has a thin rubber finish added to it.
The Hogue Overmolded Beavertail has an ergonomic design for large hands, which is a well-designed pistol grip with good recoil absorption.
- It has a soft rubber grip and is equipped with a standard angle.
- This grip has a wide profile.
- This grip is available in 2 colors only.
The Hogue AR-15 Overmolded Beavertail Grip mounts at the same angle as a factory AR pistol grip and is specifically built for people with larger hands. It has a wide profile and a generous beavertail to protect your thumb while shooting.
The finger cutaways added to the grip are well spaced and generously sized. The entire grip is coated with a thick, tacky rubber that provides plenty of comforts.
However, as a disadvantage, this grip does not include any sort of mounting hardware from the manufacturer. This grip is available in two colors: Black and Desert Tan that offers limited choice.
- The grip is comfortable and has an ergonomic shape.
- It is specifically designed for larger hands.
- It also has good recoil absorption.
- The mounting hardware is not included by the manufacturer.
#7 – Magpul MIAD GEN 1.1
The Magpul MIAD Gen 1.1 is another Magpul in our list of the best AR-15 grips available in the market that you can buy that is both modular and easy to install.
- It has a rubberized grip and comes with a standard angle.
- This gun has a modular design.
- It also comes with a mounting screw so that you don’t need to spend extra money.
- This grip is available in 4 colors.
- This grip sits at a standard factory angle and mounts with a single screw.
- The rubberized finish is textured for an easy grip but is designed for dexterity and is not thick enough to offer recoil resistance.
This grip has a modular system and includes a basic, flat forward strap, as well as an ergonomic forward strap with a finger cutout. Additionally, it also has three backstraps: a flat backstrap, one with a small beavertail, and one with a large, fat beavertail that will cushion your thumb.
This grip is available in four colors: Black, Gray, Flat Dark Earth, and O.D. Green and accepts Magpul storage grip cores.
- It fits just about any hand and doesn’t have any specific size.
- This grip is also comfortable and easy to grip.
- It also accepts Magpul grip cores.
- It includes oil grip core and gun oil in the packaging.
- It is a little expensive.
- It has a limited recoil resistance.
The Brownells AR-15 Retro is the eighth AR-15 grip in our list of the best AR-15 grips available in the market that you can buy and will make your AR-15 look like a classic M16A1.
- It has a textured polymer grip and is equipped with a shallow angle.
- It is of a standard size and includes mounting hardware.
- This grip is available in 3 colors to choose from.
This is a quality grip, with cross-hatching in the polymer to make it easy to hold. It also has a much steeper angle than a standard AR grip, making it much more like a hunting rifle and is a great choice if you have a longer-barreled AR for hunting.
It gives you finer control when lining up a long-range shot and comes with all the hardware you will need to mount it. It comes in three different colors, which are designed for different types of rifles.
- It is a replica M16A1 grips and is designed for those who want a classic look.
- It is a good choice for long-barreled AR-15s.
- This grip is not the best for short-barreled AR-15s
The Magpul Picatinny Rail is a vertical polymer grip for your rifle’s fore-end and is also the last grip from Magpul in this list.
- This grip mounts on a Picatinny rail and has a polymer construction.
- It is a vertical forward grip.
- The grip is available in 4 colors to choose according to the color scheme of your rifle.
This fore-end grip mounts on any Picatinny rail and is molded from polymer, so it’s lightweight and durable. It is also surprisingly ergonomic, that comes with a curve at the top for your thumb and forefinger. However, it has an open end, which can pick up dirt and leaves if you’re out in the woods or do not take proper care of it.
This grip is available in four colors: Black, Gray, Dark Earth, and O.D. Green to choose as per the color scheme of your gun.
- The grip is easy to attach and helps immensely to control recoil.
- It has an ergonomic design.
- The open end of the grip can retain debris when not taken care of properly.
#10 – Hogue Groover
The Hogue Groover is the last grip in our list that comes with a Mil-Spec Buttstock is an ergonomic upgrade to both your grip and your buttstock.
- This is a rubber grip and is equipped with a collapsible buttstock.
- It comes in a standard size and has a standard angle.
- It is available in 2 colors.
The Hogue AR-15 Groover Grip with Mil-Spec Buttstock is costlier than the other grips we have looked at in our list of the top 10 best AR-15 grips available in the market that you can buy.
The Hogue Groover Grip is one with a standard size, factory angle pistol grip with Hogue’s thick rubber padding added to it for additional comfort. It also helps in reducing recoil while making your AR more comfortable to hold. It is also ergonomic, with grooves added to it for each of your fingers.
The buttstock equipped to the grip is also well designed. The frame is made from durable polymer, with rubber pads added to protect your cheek and armpit while shooting. The grip extends and collapses easily, with the help of a simple lever grip at the top of the frame.
This kit is available in 2 colors: Black and Flat Dark Earth that provides a limited option to choose from. Overall, this is a quality combination kit for upgrading your entire stock of the AR-15.
- The grip is sized well for average and large hands.
- It also has a durable polymer buttstock that is comfortable and ergonomic.
- It also has good recoil absorption.
- It is expensive.
- The mounting hardware is not included in the packaging.
Thus, with all those grips, we have reached the end of our article on the top 10 best AR-15 grips available in the market that you can buy. Keep in mind that all the grips mentioned above are good quality grips, and you only need to choose what suits you the best. The grip that will be the best for you will depend on how and where you use your rifle, and the best AR grip is going to come down to your personal preferences. However, there are three factors that you should keep in mind while you are buying your grip.
Angle: The first thing to look at is the angle. You need to ask yourself what your preference is, do you want your grip to have a slight angle, like a stock AR grip? Or do you want it straight up and down, or at a more aggressive angle, like most of the pre-equipped ones? Answer the question properly, and you are halfway done with sorting the thousands of grips available in the market.
Thickness and contours: The next question you would want to ask yourself is how thick you want your grip to be? Mostly, it is going to depend on how big your hand is. Whether you want a plain or ergonomic grip is more a matter of preference and should go as per your wish and convenience.
Material and texture: You will have to decide whether you prefer a recoil-resistant rubberized grip or a more stable hard grip. Answer those above three questions, and you will progress a lot in your path to choose the best AR-15 rifle as per your need and convenience.
We hope that you have found our review useful enough to consider buying a grip and have equipped you with the necessary information that will help you choose the right grip for you to have a firm grip on your rifle.